I really like the open source software Home Assistant. However, today I noticed that the whole system wasn’t working anymore. Ok, sometimes a Reboot helps, but not this time. Looking further into this I found the cause of this problem. One of the WiFi enabled switches wasn’t responding anymore. And Home Assistant completely blocked.
This is a major issue in a home automation software as you can’t be sure that in a complex environment every component will work as expected. An issue has been opened for this problem. I hope that there is a easy way to fix this kind of problem.
If your Home Assistant isn’t working anymore, start it from command line and check the output. You might find a subsystem that blocks the startup.